Monday, December 30, 2013

Love Builds Community: I Corinthians 13

If you drive by the corner of Quince/Mt. Moriah during the morning or evening rush hour, on most days, who do you see? You see the minister of that church. He's usually standing out there with a big smile, waving at every car as they drive by, talking to passengers when the light is red. When the weather is hot, he hands bottles of cold water to passing cars from a cooler on the sidewalk. When the weather is cold, he's still out there with his smile. More often than not, he's wearing some type of silly hat, and if he gets the chance, he will invite you to his church that Sunday. To me and probably to most people, he is a fixture of our morning commute. He's been doing this for so long now and so consistently that I notice when he's NOT there. You might think that this guy standing there holding up traffic everyday would be annoying to the drivers, but I think that most drivers are like me and don't mind, or they actually enjoy seeing the smiling face. The other day I ran into the host of FOX 13's morning show, Valerie Calhoun. And when I say I ran into her... I literally ran into her... I hit her car with my car. While we were waiting on the police to show up, we had the chance to talk for a while and get to know each other. She was very nice. And if that situation isn't embarrassing enough, every third car was yelling at us, “Valerie, I love your show!” As we talked, she found out that I lived in the neighborhood, she asked me about the minister who stands on the corner every morning. She said that she had heard about him and they had talked about doing a segment on him at some point. He's getting a reputation. That guy stands out there every day at that intersection waiting on the chance to invite someone to church.

Compare that story with this story...

The other day, I was going through the intersection of Park/Getwell. As I pulled up to the red light, I noticed a woman standing on the corner. She was elderly, African-American, and small. Her clothes were old and worn, and she looked like she might have been homeless. She wore a very long denim shirt that was filled with carefully printed block letters written with a magic marker. But what really got my attention and what made me notice her was that she was carrying a megaphone and singing a song to whoever was listening in the passing cars. I rolled down my window (just a little) in curiosity and I could hear her singing about how Jesus can save. She was definitely not a professional singer but she had a nice enough voice, sort of joyful and sad at the same time. I was in no hurry and her singing was just as good as what was on K-love anyway, so I pulled over to sit in my car to listen to her. When I could read her shirt, the top line across her shoulders said “I know Jesus.” The rest of her shirt was covered, front and back, top to bottom, with lines about the power of God to save. At first glance, you'd probably think she was a nut. I did. Some crazy old lady out there on the corner singing with the megaphone. Still, I watched her and listened. But the longer I sat there in my car listening, maybe five or ten minutes, the more I didn't think she was crazy anymore. She wasn't acting crazy, she was just singing to the cars driving by. I began to wonder if my initial judgement of her was wrong. Maybe she has been through enough struggles in her life that she actually knows Jesus better than I could ever hope to. As I sat in my car listening and watching, I began to think that maybe it was true. Maybe she was spreading the good news in her own way, just like the preacher does during the morning drive time.

The moral of this story is that just because the preacher seems more normal that the elderly lady, doesn't mean that she's crazy and he's not. My point is that you can't always judge things by the way they look on the surface.

This concern for the way things look comes into play as we begin to look at I Corinthians 13. Up to this point, Paul has been telling the Corinthians that each spiritual gift plays just as important a role as the others. Just because one gift seems more important doesn't mean that it is. The spiritual gifts that seems on the surface to be most important are no more important than the gifts that go unseen and unnoticed. All gifts have their part to play. It seems that the Corinthian church had been placing more value on some gifts, with some members being elevated over others. Or elevating themselves over others. So its in this context of spiritual gifted people competing with each other that Paul begins this famous chapter of the Bible on love.

The Love Chapter

When we read this chapter what is the first thing we think of? Weddings? Paul writes an almost poetic section about the nature of true love here. It meets four important tests for wedding ceremonies: it’s from the Bible, it’s memorable, it’s about love, and, perhaps most important, it’s brief . We romanticize the chapter and apply it primarily to newly wed couples.

But to only think of it as a romantic love essay is to rip it from its context in I Corinthians. We should understand this chapter in the context of chapters 12-14. There was an intense church fight going on that was brought about by the arrogance of some members and it resulted in divisions in the congregation. So after Paul addresses the problem of spiritual gifts in chapter twelve, he gives an answer to the problems about the importance of gifts: the gifts must be used for the common good of the body. Then Paul brings the answer home in chapter 13: Gifts are absolutely no good if not accompanied by love.

Paul does not use the word “love” a lot in this letter outside of this chapter. He implies it on many occasions. And Paul does conclude the letter with the admonition to “Let all that you do be done in love” (16:14). But he focuses intensely on it in this chapter. He sets out some pretty strong guides for what love means and what real love looks like.

In our culture, love can mean a lot of different things. In the Bible there are different words that we translate 'love'. There may be some debate on the exact meaning of the words, but there are different ways to verbally express love. It unfortunate but we have one word that covers a broad spectrum. Love can mean anything from loving your mom to loving your dog to loving your neighbor to loving spicy food. So when someone today reads this chapter, they read it with their own definition of love.

What does love mean in our culture? How does our culture define love? As a sentimental romantic feeling. As unconditionally accepting and making no demands. As tolerant of all lifestyles and beliefs. As an emotion. How would you define the love as described by Paul?

The gifts that God provides are not an end. They are a means to loving the community of God. Of uplifting the church. There's absolutely nothing wrong with any of these gifts. They are all ways to encourage and build up the community. This is Paul's point. There's nothing wrong with speaking in tongues or prophesying. These are God-given gifts to help the community of faith. The only issue is with how the gifts are being used.

No comments:

Post a Comment