There's a line of thought that believes Jesus is setting an impossibly high standard in this teaching so that the listener will be aware of their failures and submit to the grace of God. I don't think so. Although I am clearly dependant on God's forgiveness, these are expectations that Jesus sets for those who follow him, like me. This is what those of us who claim to follow Jesus should do.
My list of shortcomings from the passage was too long, so I narrowed it down to the ten that I have to work on the most. Here they are:
1. Don't think others foolish. (5:22) This is the worst one for me. Apart from the way I speak out loud about other drivers (in front of my kids, no less), I have realized that I think this way all day long. Once I examine it, I'm embarrassed at how often I think of the people that I deal with as foolish, stupid, moronic, etc. Its an ugly attitude. Especially considering how foolishly I can act and at how foolishly I've acted toward God at times. I need forgiveness and I need to work hard at approaching people the way that Jesus approached them.
2. Fast secretly. (6:16-18) I have fasted a couple of times. Not much. In too many areas of my life, I regularly choose comfort over denial. I need to regularly fast from food. Not only food, I need to periodically remove some comforts from my life to remind me of my dependance on God. This one is hard too. It takes a discipline that I've never developed. And I need to keep it a secret. The hardest part is planning it and starting it, but I have to get this in my life.
3. Spend my time correctly. (6:19) To be honest, money has never been a big interest of mine, so I looked at the valuable commodity of time. Where is the treasure of my time spent? I spend a lot of time on myself when I should be working on relationships. When I added up how I spend my time, the results did not reflect the values that I claim. TV is an example. I have to choose activities that have relational value, to God and to people in my life.
4. Don't worry. (6:25) Self-explanatory. When I worry, its because of fear. Fear is the opposite of faith. I have to trust that God can work in whatever circumstances my life falls into.
5. Don't listen to evil. (7:15) The wolves in sheep's clothing get my attention more than I'd like to admit. I'm amused by the wrong too often, instead of rejecting it outright. Jesus quickly rejected evil when it confronted him, as in Peter's rejection or the temptations in the wilderness. It was not even a consideration for him. I want evil to be unattractive in all its forms.
6. Love those who don't like me. (5:44) When I suspect that someone doesn't like me, my first impulse is to reject them. The correct action should leave lines of communication and kindness open. God has often been open to me when I was not open to Him. I think I should treat them as if I like them, regardless of their feelings toward me. I'm not always that likeable, anyways. And everything isn't about me.
7. Don't look at women sexually. (5:28) Many guys struggle here and I'm a guy. But all people should be regarded as valuable. I shouldn't look at women as how they might be useful to me. That's what lust is: thinking about women as something to be used. Just being blunt here. In the kingdom of God, each woman that I meet has a place.
8. Do more than I'm forced to. (5:40) This applies when I'm required to do something. There's a rebelliousness that makes me push back when someone has the ability to force me to act. But that attitude does nothing to foster peace. It only makes things worse. It makes relationships worse or prevents relationships from happening. What I will do is show a generosity toward those who have authority over me. Humility. Again, its not about me.
9. Treat others like I want to be treated. (7:12) You'd think that someone who's been a Christian for their whole life would have the Golden Rule down. But I don't. When I think it through, I sometimes treat people like I want them to be treated. I don't act with mercy, but I act with subbornness and distrust. Somewhere in there is the arrogance of thinking that I know best for people.
10. Love those who makes things hard on me. (5:44) This one is variation on #6 above. But its distinct. When people frustrate me, I should still practice kindness. And I'm not just talking about driving and technical support. Not getting my way should cause me to fail to show love. My initial reaction should be Jesus's way: love. I will pray for those who frustrate me. Not pray that they get out of my way, but that God bless them with good.
As I try to live a life that looks more like Jesus, I have to be humble and realize that God is the source of change as I submit my life to Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment